For Whom the Bell Tolls, Part II


MISSING: Ralph Licciardi
“Ralph is 30, six feet, 205 pounds, he has a little, about an inch, scar, on his upper chest,” said his father, Sebastiano Licciardi. “He was born and raised in Queens. He bought a house last year in West Hempstead, Long Island. Ralph is married and has two sons, a two-and-a-half-year-old boy and a nine-month-old boy. It’s not that I’m not worried about him, but thing that worries me most is the children.”

Ralph Licciardi’s family described him as a union electrician with Local Three. They think he was working a job on the 105th floor of tower two. “When he called his wife before the second hit, she says it was a couple minutes to nine, he called to tell his wife he was OK, he was on his way out, let me get out of here,” his father said. “That’s a couple of minutes before the other plane hit. We’re going to call Verizon to find out the exact time. It’s not going to make much difference. His cellular phone of today keeps ringing. He called from the 92nd floor, so he was already 13 floors down from the job on the l05th floor.”

Ralph’s brother, Anthony, also worked in the towers, for Lehman Brothers, but he was set to fly out to Chicago on business early Tuesday morning. When they heard the news about the hijacked planes, the family was initially more concerned about Anthony.

Then Ralph’s wife called. The Licciardis have been looking for him ever since, sending Anthony to view the bodies pulled from the rubble, several of whom look like the missing son. The family has provided authorities with Ralph’s hairbrush, toothbrush, and dental records to help with identification. “I hope my son comes home alive,” said Sebastiano. “That is the best lottery I could hit, to have my son come back.”

MISSING: Lorraine Antigua
Lorraine Antigua, 32, of Brooklyn, was on the 104th floor of tower one, in her office at Cantor Fitzgerald. Antigua has two children and a fiancé, Brian Wilkes. She is described as five-eight, with brown eyes and dark brown wavy hair. At the time of the accident, she was wearing a diamond bracelet and pendant and small, gold loop earrings.

Before last week’s tragedy, most people associated the World Trade Center with business suits, briefcases, and important finance transactions. Yet in the shadow of thousands of white collars, the most famous “twins” in the world also employed more than 1,200 SEIU Local 32BJ members as porters, elevator operators, cleaners, security guards, window cleaners, tour guides and food service workers. Some escaped. Arelene Charles and Carmen Griffiths, who worked on the WTC elevators, made it out (Griffiths suffered burns on her face and other injuries). But of the approximately 350 union members that were working in the towers at the time of the attack, 27 have not been accounted for.

Because the attacks took place in the morning, it’s likely that undocumented deliverymen, waiters, vendors, and maintenance workers were also in the buildings—immigrants who had come to the city for better opportunities. We may never know the names of these people and we can only speculate that their families abroad—in countries like Mexico, Albania, India—knew where they worked, and are trying to find them. Maybe they too have erected shrines in their names, hoping, like so many others, for a miracle.

For more information on the union members go to For information on undocumented workers go to

MISSING: John Katsimatides
Since the towers collapsed, members of the Greek community have been gathering at the Astoria home of John Katsimatides, a 31-year-old bond broker for Cantor Fitzgerald. Anthoula, his sister, described her brother as five-six and 160 pounds, with very dark, receding hair that is cut very short. She said he wears a wooden cross on a black strap with a bead on either side, and usually dresses in khakis and a dress shirt. He lives with his mom and dad.

He’s a bond broker at Cantor Fitzgerald, 104th floor, One World Trade. “His friends call him Johnny Cash,” Anthoula said. “Why, well because he wishes he did have lots of cash, or he acts like he does. He’s very, very giving, very generous, the life of the party. He has a lot of friends nationally. Everybody who meets him loves him.”

Anthoula said he gets to work on the 104th floor of tower one by 7:30 a.m., because the bond market opens at eight. “I can tell you that there are rumors,” she said. “The father-in-law of a pregnant woman from Cantor Fitzgerald got on TV and said their daughter got out safely, and the last person she was with was a person named John from Cantor, with a last name she can’t remember. We heard she was in the hospital. Maybe it’s not a rumor, maybe it is true. There are a lot of Johns on the 104th floor.

“He is physically fit. I don’t doubt he tried to help people. For once, we wish he wasn’t such a nice guy. He is always making jokes, always laughing, always very caring, helping with things around the home.”

MISSING: Michael R. Andrews
Michael R. Andrews, 35, described as six-two, with blue eyes, brown/gray hair, weighing 220-230 pounds, employed by Cantor Fitzgerald, has six brothers and sisters, is an uncle to six children, and is engaged to be married. He graduated from Xavier High School in Manhattan and attended Fairfield University. He was last seen on the 103rd floor of the north tower.

MISSING: Ken Zelman
Ken Zelman, six-two and 225 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes, is an employee of Marsh & McLennan. He and his wife, Karin, have two children: Ethan, who is 14 months old, and Olivia, who is three and a half. Zelman was last seen on the 96th floor of tower one of the World Trade Center wearing khaki pants, brown shoes, black short sleeve polo shirt with white stripes, gold necklace, and black leather band watch.

His sister, Lorie Slack, has set up a trust fund for the family that is now accepting donations, care of Trust Account for Kenneth Zelman, Fleet Bank, 15 Commerce Blvd., Succasunna, New Jersey, 07876. “We’ve done everything to look for him, and we don’t have any sign of anything,” Slack said. “Now we’re turning to how to take care of his family. There’s a tiny bit of hope, that’s why we’ve been focusing on the identification details.

We’ve gotten all kinds of dental records, medical records, but we are concerned with the family. We’re all wondering what they’re going to do. [Karin] doesn’t work and she has two small children.”

MISSING: Paul Ortiz
Paul Ortiz, 21, five-nine, worked on the 107th floor of tower two of the World Trade Center. Paul called his father, also named Paul, on the morning of September 11. “He told me that a plane had hit the side of the building. I told him to get out. He told me he was fine. I told him OK, but get out of the building anyway. That was the last time I talked to him.

“His wife’s name is Star Ortiz, and they have a 10-month-old baby girl, and my son was wearing a Bloomberg shirt, had a gold chain around his neck that says Paul. That’s it, just Paul,” he added. “He has a mole on the left side of his neck, and, beneath his chin, he has a scar, and right now we’re looking for him.”

KILLED: Michael Ulano
An employee of Cantor Fitzgerald and owner of his own fly-fishing company, Michael Ulano died Tuesday when the north tower of the World Trade Center collapsed. He had turned 42 on September 2, a week and a half before the tragedy. Ulano was on the 105th floor with his two best friends from college, Vinnie Abate, who got him his job at Cantor Fitzgerald, and his brother, Andrew Abate, when a plane crashed into the building. “I have no doubt that even if it meant his own life, he would have risked it for someone else,” said his brother-in-law Alan Levin.

“He was made of integrity, a kind person willing to help his fellow man. He truly loved life and didn’t take things for granted. He’s gonna be missed by a lot of people.”

According to Levin, Ulano was a fanatic fly-fisher as well as the founder of a company that sold lures he made. “Each lure had its own name and personality,” Levin said. “One was called Julius. He’d put feathers on them. He had a kit full of epoxies and bird feathers. It was his dream. He would stand on the Jersey shore and fish all day if he could.”

Ulano’s wife, Linda, who currently is undergoing her last round of chemotherapy and is about to start a series of radiation treatments, met her husband at a wedding where they immediately connected, according to Mr. Levin. “They were like two peas in a pod. My sister was finally happy.”

KILLED: Father Mychal Judge
In a massive human catastrophe where few bodies have surfaced, most of us have seen the picture of the slumped remains of Father Mychal Judge, 68, the Fire Department chaplain, being borne from the carnage after he died ministering to a fallen comrade. The announcement of his death gave the thousands of those he had touched in his myriad Franciscan ministries—from the powerful to the homeless—an immediate, deeply felt personal connection to this horror.

He was, of course, profoundly mourned by the fire fighters he loved as “his boys.”

With parents from Ireland who met on the boat, he was much honored in the Irish community. But there was much that few knew about him.

The day of his funeral Saturday was the 23rd anniversary of his “recovery” as an alcoholic. At a Clinton White House religion conference, he spoke up for what he called “America’s greatest contribution to spirituality,” Bill Wilson and the 12-step movement of Alcoholics Anonymous, a speech that Mr. Clinton, whose stepfather was alcoholic, said at his funeral was “gutsy.”

To friends, he was known as a gay man who appreciated the Gay USA show and celebrated the city’s “gorgeous men” by saying, “Isn’t God wonderful?” When his close friend, gay activist Brendan Fay, started a St. Patrick’s parade in Queens last year that included gay groups, Judge helped him fund it and showed up in his brown friar’s robe to put the church on the side of the oppressed, even as Catholic officialdom was urging a boycott. He frequently donated clothes to the Out of the Closet Thrift Shop for gay and AIDS causes on East 81st Street. He was a longtime member of Dignity, the gay Catholic group. In recent years, he came out to many of those he loved, including Fire Commissioner Tom Von Essen, who warmly accepted him.

Paralyzed police officer Steven McDonald, to whom Judge was devoted, told me that when a cousin of his was disowned by his family for having AIDS, Judge stepped in to care for him and held the man’s hand on his deathbed—as he did for countless others. He was doing AIDS ministry out of St. Francis Church on West 31st Street in the 1980s when most churches were shunning people with AIDS.

After his wake Friday—full of laughter and warmth amidst devastation—Father Ronald Pecci told me that Judge’s first parish work was with a pastor in Jersey who was “on the rough side.” Pecci said, “He would hear the pastor yelling at people who came in for counseling, wait for them to come out, and take them to another room” to smooth things over and assure them that God loved them.

On October 11, Brendan Fay’s Lavender and Green is planning “a month’s mind” for Judge, an Irish tradition of getting together one month after a loved one’s death. For information on time and place, call 718-721-2780.

MISSING: Margaret “Peggy” Alario
An insurance executive with Zurich International, Peggy Alario, 41, was on the 90th floor of tower two when the plane hit. Alario’s Staten Island family includes her husband, James, and two children.

She is described as five-one and 120 pounds, having brown hair with blond highlights, brown eyes, and a petite build.

MISSING: Anthony Alvarado
His loved ones last saw Anthony Alvarado, 31, of the Bronx, the night before the attacks. They said he has one son, nine, and worked for Forte Food Services, with Cantor Fitzgerald. They described Alvarado as having a scar on the right side of the head from brain surgery, and strawberry colored birthmarks on his arm, chest, and back.

MISSING: Jack Aron
Jack Aron, 52, of New Jersey, worked for Marsh & McLennan on the 95th floor of tower one. His family includes a wife and one child. He is described as five-seven and 140 pounds, of Caucasian descent with black hair, dark brown eyes, and a mustache. He is wearing a gold wedding band.

MISSING: Michael Baksh
Michael Baksh, 36, of New Jersey, worked for Marsh & McLennan on the 94th floor of tower one. His family includes a wife and two children. Baksh, of Pakistani descent, left home September 11 wearing a dark-blue pinstriped suit with a blue shirt. His loved ones describe him as six-one, 160 pounds, with dark brown hair and brown eyes.

MISSING: Marlyn Bautista
Married to Rameses Bautista, with no children, Marlyn Bautista, 46, of New Jersey worked for Marsh & McLennan in tower one on the 98th floor. Bautista is described as petite, four-eleven, with a fair complexion and short black hair and brown eyes. She is of Filipino descent and on the day of the attacks wore a pink dress.

MISSING: Daniel Bergstein
A board secretary with the Port Authority, Daniel Bergstein was working on the 67th floor of tower one. The 38-year-old husband and father of two from Teaneck, New Jersey, is described as six feet and 180 pounds, with a medium complexion, dark brown eyes, and black hair going gray on the sides.

MISSING: Michael Berkeley
Michael Berkeley, 38, from Battery Park City in Manhattan, was on the 79th floor of tower one, working for his own investment company, the Berkeley Group. Married with two children, he’s described as African American, six feet, 230 pounds, with a light complexion, brown hair, and brown eyes. On the day of the attacks he was wearing light beige pants, a golf shirt with beige design, and black shoes. He’s married, with two children.

MISSING: Richard Blood
Richard Blood, 38, a vice president of AON Insurance, was on the 102nd floor of tower two. The six-one, 185-pound husband and father of two from Ridgewood, New Jersey, is described as having sandy blond hair and blue eyes.

MISSING: Reverend Larry Bowman
At the time of the attacks, Reverend Larry Bowman, 46, of Brooklyn, was working for Summit Security at the command center in the World Trade Center. The Pentecostal minister, husband, and father of two is described as five-eleven, 180 pounds, with brown skin, a bald head, a mole on his forehead. He was wearing a company uniform.

MISSING: Lydia Bravo
Born and raised in New York City but living in New Jersey, Lydia Bravo, 50, was at work as a corporate nurse for Marsh & McLennan on the 94th floor of tower one. Her family, which includes one child and a fiancé, said the Hispanic woman had just come back from vacation and has a golden tan and freckles. They said she’s five-two and 135 pounds, with dark bobbed hair, a scar on one heel, and wearing an engagement ring.

MISSING: Ed Mazzella
Mazzella is from Monroe, NY. He worked for Cantor Fitzgerald. He is the 62-year-old father of one son and one daughter. He has four grandchildren.

MISSING: Rocco Medaglia
Medaglia is a 49 year old project supervisor with GMP Inc., a company that was doing construction work in the towers. He has two daughters. His family says, “We hope that everyone keeps praying for everyone who is missing and that has been affected by this tragedy.”

MISSING: Victoria Alvarez-Brito
The Elmhurst, Queens, 38-year-old wife and mother of two was working for Marsh & McLennan on the 98th floor of tower one.

Described as five-five and 145 pounds, with brown shoulder-length hair, brown eyes, light skin, and a scorpion tattoo, Victoria Alvarez-Brito was last seen in videos leaving the building wearing a light brown skirt and light green blouse.

MISSING: Milton Bustillo
Milton Bustillo, 37, from Staten Island, was working as a computer technician for Cantor Fitzgerald on the 103rd floor in tower one.

Bustillo has a wife and two children.

Loved ones say he’s five-nine and 185 pounds, with dark hair and green eyes. He commonly wears a watch and a plain, gold wedding band.

MISSING: Geoff Campbell
A director and managing consultant with Reuter’s Consulting Group, Geoff Campbell, 31, had an office on the 106th floor of tower one. The London native, Chelsea resident, and fiancé is described as five-eleven and 179 pounds, with dark brown eyes, jet black hair, and an athletic build. He was last seen leaving his apartment at 8:20, wearing dark trousers and a dark polo shirt.

MISSING: Rosemarie Carlson
Rosemarie Carlson, 40, Queens native and Brooklyn resident, had just started her job at International Office Center on the 79th floor of tower one. A divorced mother of six children, she is described as five-four and 160 to 170 pounds, with shoulder-length blonde hair, hazel eyes, fair skin, and a rash on her face. On the day of the attacks she was wearing a collared purple shirt, black pants, a silver necklace with blue stones, and a matching ring. She has a scar on her right hand that stretched between thumb and wrist.

MISSING: Vladimir Savinkin
After graduating this spring from Pace University with a degree in finance, Vladimir Savinkin, 21, got a job as an accountant at Cantor Fitzgerald, on the 101st floor of tower one, where he was working on the morning of September 11. His household on Ocean Avenue in Brooklyn includes his parents, Valery and Valenta, and his 13-year-old sister, Galina. The Savinkin family immigrated to the United States from the Ukraine about five years ago. They described Vladimir as tall, skinny, and athletic-looking, said he had been learning tennis and playing the game with friends. At the time of the attacks, he was about a year shy of gaining American citizenship.

MISSING: Ayleen J. Santiago
Ayleen J. Santiago, 40, of Borough Park, Brooklyn, was hired as a permanent employee at Blue Cross/Blue Shield, on the 30th floor of tower one less than two weeks before the terrorists struck.

Previously, the Puerto Rico native had worked there as a consultant. Her family includes husband George Santiago and two children, Ayleen, 15, and George Jr., 16 months. Loved ones described her as perennially happy, with a round face, big eyes, and a yen for dancing.

MISSING: Isaias Rivera
Isaias Rivera, 51, of Perth-Amboy, had an office on the 110th floor of tower one, where he worked as a broadcast maintenance technician for CBS. Employed with the network for 30 years, Rivera was first hired for a job in the mailroom. His household includes wife Nilsa and sons Adrian, 20, and Antonio, four; his other children are Lynette, 27, and Isaias Jr., 26.

Loved ones described Rivera as a deeply religious man and a copastor at his church, Jesus Cristo Es la Respuesta. They said he spends a great deal of time visiting hospitals and prisons to pray and to talk with people. He also uses his technical skills at a church radio station, where he is a broadcaster, praying on the air, playing Christian songs, and giving testimonies.

When the World Trade Center was bombed in 1993, Rivera called home from the top floor “basically to say farewell, because he was inhaling a lot of black smoke and there were no windows,” his wife said. She heard nothing more until the next day. Then, miraculously, it turned out Rivera was fine and had stayed at the scene to aid firefighters and police. He had helped a pregnant coworker get rescued by helicopter, and received an award for heroism from the state of New Jersey. “I’m praying that he’s still there now, trying to help in the second bombing,” his wife said. “But I haven’t heard from him this time.”

MISSING: Thomas Butler, Fireman Squad 1
One of the first firefighters to enter the towers, Thomas Butler, 37, from Kings Park, Long Island, is described as six feet and 200 pounds, with brownish hair and blue eyes. He has tattoos of a clover with a horseshoe around it, a shark with an anchor that says USN, and a pirate ship on his other arm. The 14-year veteran’s family includes wife Martha, one daughter, and two sons.

MISSING: James Andrew “Andy” O’Grady
Managing director of Sandler O’Neill and Partners for six years, Andy O’Grady got engaged to be married a month and a half ago. A resident of Manhattan, he was born in Harrington Park, New Jersey, and attended college at UCLA, where he captained the swimming team. He tattooed “UCLA Bruin” on his upper left leg and a green four-leaf clover on his right arm.

His parents still reside in Harrington Park and his sister and family live in New Canaan, Connecticut. On the morning of September 11, he was working on the 104th floor of tower two. Loved ones said he lives for his work and is known for his generosity and smile.

MISSING: Richard Fraser
Richard Fraser of Peter Cooper Village in Manhattan recently transferred to AON from Marsh & McLennan, in an effort to get better medical benefits for his two-year-old son, Aidan, who has neuro-fibromatosis. Both AON and Marsh had offices in the World Trade Center, and both have many workers missing.

Moments after a plane struck tower one, his wife, Suzanne, spoke to him by phone. He told her her not to worry, that he hadn’t been told to leave the building yet, and was “planning to go to a conference.” She told him to come home. His mother spoke with him, too, and he reiterated that there was “no big fear.” Then the call came to evacuate; he dropped to the floor and said, “Mom, gotta go.”

Fraser’s family, which includes his brother, Lee, and sister, Margaret, describe him as an incredibly devoted father. They say he’s five-ten and 173 pounds with blue eyes, brown hair, a three-inch scar on his stomach and a light scar on his upper lip. They’ve heard rumors that he escaped, which they hope are true.

MISSING: Jennifer Y. Wong
Even though she’d returned from Italy the night before, Jennifer Y. Wong showed up bright and early for her job in the client services department at Marsh & McLennan on September 11. Since then, a large group of her friends has made the rounds of city hospitals looking for her. They said she is the oldest of three siblings and has lived at home with her family in Whitestone, Queens.

Wong, 26, was raised in a pious and caring Christian family. Friends said she is five-four and 130 pounds, of Chinese heritage, with black hair, brown eyes, and a mole underneath her left collarbone. She was last seen wearing a black top with khaki pants and a black cardigan.

MISSING: Thomas Hynes
Working for Vestek Corporation on the 78th floor of tower two, Tom Hynes spoke to his brother John at 8:50, minutes after tower one was hit. “He was completely unaware of it,” John Hynes said.

Minutes later, Tom phoned his wife at their home in Norwalk, Connecticut, and his father.

Loved ones describe Tom as 6 feet and 280 pounds, with blue eyes, brown hair parted on the side, and a scar under his right eye that runs down his cheek, stops, and then continues down his neck. “He’s a total people person and loved everything about the city,” said his brother. “He’d be the one making sure everyone’s all right and helping people evacuate.”

MISSING: Jean Marie Walendorf
Known as Jamie to friends, Jean Marie Walendorf moved back to Brooklyn three years ago from Florida. Seems the 23-year-old Bensonhurst native just couldn’t get New York out of her blood. The oldest of five kids, she took a place in Bay Ridge with her boyfriend, Joey Wald. “My big little sister,” said 19-year-old brother Joey Nicklo, “she was always worrying about me and crap.”

Relatives said Walendorf is five-two with shoulder-length dirty-blonde hair, blue eyes, a fair complexion, and a rose vine tattoo on her lower back. Her mother, Christine Barton, spoke with Walendorf at her job with Keefe Bruyette & Woods on the 86th floor of tower two as she was evacuating, but the family hasn’t heard from her since.

MISSING: Arelen Babakitis
A 30-year employee of the Port Authority, Arelen Babakitis most recently worked in the EZ Pass division. The 48-year-old from Secaucus, New Jersey, “gave much of her life to that company,” said a close friend. The loving mother of two sons, ages 20 and 11, also experienced the 1993 bombing and was deeply affected. “To go through a second time is just horrendous,” said her friend.

MISSING: Cesar Murillo
Loved ones of 32-year-old Cesar Murillo, Colombian native and Tribeca resident, said he loves driving his car around the city and prides himself on always finding parking. He and his wife are avid fans of the newly developed Robert Wagner Park area, where they kayak, rollerblade, play volleyball, and go out on a friend’s sailboat off Pier 25. Married 11 months ago, Cesar just began working as a sales trader for Cantor Fitzgerald on the upper floors of tower one three weeks ago.

Friends said he is five-nine and fair-skinned, with black hair, brown eyes, scars on both knees and minuscule scars between his toes.

“Perfect teeth and amazing, hairless skin,” said his wife, Allison.

MISSING: William Johnston
Relatives described William Johnston, six-three, as a “Jason Seahorn lookalike” who plays soccer, hockey, and football, often for fire department teams. Part of Engine 6 in Manhattan, William and his crew were among the first companies to arrive at the World Trade Center. The Lindenhurst resident joined the department two years ago because, like his brother who is a volunteer firefighter in the North Babylon, Long Island, he felt compelled to help.

MISSING: Abigail Medina
Medina is from Bushwick, Brooklyn. She is 46 years old and worked at Guy Carpenter Insurance. She has two daughters, aged 18 and 14, and a husband, Eli.

MISSING: Gene Maloy
Maloy is originally from Manassas, Virginia. He is 41 years old, and he does Internet tech support for Marsh. His family resides in Virginia, including his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Gene Maloy, a brother, Kevin Maloy and a sister, April Fitzgerald. His hobbies include photography.

MISSING: Thomas Henry McGinnis
Relatives described Thomas Henry McGinnis, husband and father of a four-year-old girl, as a real New Yorker, with a love for the city’s restaurants, food, pace, and diversity.

A native of Manhattan and resident of Bergen County, New Jersey, McGinnis, 41, was attending a conference on the 92nd floor of the tower two Tuesday. McGinnis, a Carr Futures employee, phoned his wife and told her he was trapped in a room. “The last thing I said was don’t hang up, don’t hang up,” his wife told the Voice. “You’re coming home tonight.” Thomas told his wife, “I love you. Take care of Caitlin and call Cella [a trapped colleague’s wife]. I got to get down on the floor right now.” Thomas is 6 feet and 180 pounds, with green eyes, brown hair, and a scar on his palm below his pinky.

MISSING: Zhanetta Tsoy
In September, Zhanetta Tsoy moved to Jersey City from Kazakhstan with her husband and three-and-a-half-year-old son. Those searching for Tsoy said the Korean woman was excited about learning English and carried an English-Russian translation dictionary around with her. They said she’s five-five and 115 pounds, with straight black hair running down to her shoulders and dark brown eyes. She bears a small scar on her left cheek, as well as scars on her knee from an automobile accident.

On Monday, September 10, Tsoy attended orientation for Marsh & McLennan, where she had just gotten a job as a corporate accountant. Tuesday, September 11, was her first day at work.

MISSING: Valerie Silver Ellis
Valerie Silver Ellis, 46, had made plans with her husband, Sam, to visit her mother in Rehoboth sometime this past weekend. On Monday evening the couple of 18 years discussed his work as a theater production manager. On Tuesday, they both left early. She was headed to her desk at the World Trade Center. Sam has not heard from her since.

“I spoke with someone from her office in California,” her husband said with a touch of a laugh, “who was on the phone with her at the time. All he could assure me was when the plane hit him and her were concocting a scheme to react to a humorous e-mail that was from another coworker. She’s a real practical joker.”

When asked what she loves about New York, Sam responded, “She hated the World Trade Center ever since 1993 and was like the canary in a coal mine. The first time she walked 104 flights of stairs, and that night we had a party. I hope we can have another one. I’ll even invite you.”

MISSING: James “Jimmy” Ladley
James “Jimmy” Ladley, 42, loves sports. “Yankees, the Rangers, the Jets, we love all three together,” his best friend Mike McAvoy said. “We were at the Stanley Cup together when the Rangers won.”

Born on the Lower East Side, Jimmy grew up in Staten Island and moved to Colts Neck, New Jersey, seven years ago with his wife, Sherry. After the arrival of their daughter, Elizabeth, now four, and James, now two, Ladley spent much of his time at home. “He was a man’s man and the nicest guy in the world,” McAvoy said. “The greatest father—lived for his kids. He wouldn’t even go to baseball games anymore.”

Friends since their early childhood, Jimmy convinced Mike and his wife to move out of the city. The McAvoys still hope Jimmy will be the godfather of their child.

MISSING: Stan P. Morello
Steven, Jessica, and Alfia Morello have wandered throughout lower Manhattan searching for their father, Stan P. Morello of Bayonne, New Jersey, who worked in the towers. “Employees loved him, everyone loved him,” Steven said. “This was just a loving caring husband and father whose only focus of life was on those around him.”

MISSING: Davis “Deeg” Greer Sezna Jr.
Davis Greer Sezna Jr. started working at Sandler O’ Neil, an investment firm on the 104th floor of tower two, less then two weeks ago. His roommate, David Koloski, said Sezna was planning to go to work in a charcoal gray suit with pinstripes. A transplant from Wilmington, Delaware, Sezna is described as five-ten with blue eyes and light brown hair. He wears a necklace with a Catholic medallion and a silver bracelet, engraved with his little brother’s name. On Monday night, Sezna, 22, slept on the couch. He left for the office early the next morning. He was scheduled to move into his new apartment Saturday.

MISSING: Sonia Ortiz
Sonia Ortiz, 58, operated the service elevator to Windows of the World at the top of tower one for 30 years. One of her three grown sons, Luis, 37, said she called her aunt Edima on Tuesday morning and reported she was safe, but could not get down to the ground floor.

A member of Local 32 BJ, she went to work in her uniform: blue pants, white shirt, blue sweater, and a bow tie. Three weeks ago, Ortiz had bridgework on the bottom left side of her mouth. Relatives described her as five-six and between 145 and 158 pounds.

MISSING: Laura Giglio Marchese
Laura Giglio Marchese worked as an executive assistant for Alliance Consultants on the 102nd floor of tower two for a little over a year. Forty-five minutes after the first plane hit, she made repeated calls to her fiancé, Joseph Mendez, on his cell phone. Their communication was sporadic, but she said she was fine, asked him to call her mother, Lorraine, and was able to give him the number. “I’m being checked out,” she said, according to a relative, who now thinks she was trying to say, “I’m trying to get out.”

On Friday, around 1:00 p.m., Mendez received a message on his pager from Marchese’s cell phone.

There was no text, only her number.

While optimistic, the family has been cautious, saying that the NYPD told them the page could have been made earlier. Marchese, 35, left for work wearing a pink blouse and black slacks. She’s five-six, weighs 130 pounds, has a skin tag on her neck and a small scar under her chin.

MISSING: Chris Colasanti
A bonds broker at Cantor Fitzgerald, Chris Colasanti worked on the 105th floor of tower one. His wife, Kelly, last saw him during breakfast Tuesday morning at 6:50 a.m., and then he left for work. He was wearing a blue shirt, khaki pants, brown belt, shoes, contact lenses, his wedding ring, his work ID card, and a watch with a black band. He has two daughters, Cara, almost five, and Lauren, 21 months old. He’s five-eleven, and weighs 172 pounds.

MISSING: Derek Sword
Derek Sword is an equity salesman who worked for Keefe, Bruyette & Woods for six years, on the 105th floor of tower two. His fiancée, Maureen Sullivan, says he called twice on Tuesday morning.

The initial call came directly after the first plane hit tower one. “It wasn’t my tower,” Maureen recalled him saying. “It’s on fire, but I’m safe and everyone’s going to be evacuated.” After a plane hit his tower, he called again and requested that she call his parents, David and Irene, in native Dundee, Scotland, to let them know he was OK.

He left for work wearing a blue-and-red-checker shirt, khaki pants, a navy blue blazer, Timberland moccasins. Sword, 29, is five-nine, 165 pounds, and has blue eyes and brown hair.

MISSING: Mark Motroni
On Tuesday, Mark Motroni, a 25-year veteran trader, was on the 92nd floor of tower one, for a Carr Futures meeting of 14 people, including neighborhood friend Elkin Yuen, 32, and fellow employees, Pat O’ Shea, Mark Petricelli, Eddie Ryan, and Jim Paul.

That morning, Motroni, 57, had given his son Chris a pep talk. He told him to work hard and to tell his mother, Emily, that he would be home for dinner. Motroni has a full moustache and glasses, and left wearing a light blue shirt, black pants, Movado watch, silver bracelet, and a gold chain with a cross. He has a scar that runs from the top of his beltline to his middle abdomen. “It’s like the missing remote in front of your face,” Chris said last week.

“I don’t believe for second he’s dead.

There’s still people on the lists. We have to find him. I’m expecting for him to come home right now.”

MISSING: Joseph Roberto
Joseph Roberto has been a vice president and bank analyst at Keefe, Bruyette & Woods for three years, and was on the 89th floor of tower two on Tuesday morning. Seven minutes before 9:00 a.m., he called his mother, Lucy, out of the blue, just to say hello. After the first explosion, he called again, his voice cracking. He was disoriented and in shock, Lucy remembers.

He told her there were hundreds of people flying out the windows,and she told him to get out of the building. Roberto, 37, left for work in khakis and a long-sleeved shirt. He has a scar from an appendectomy and another on an eyebrow. “We want him home,” said his sister, Lorrain Caiazzo. Roberto also has a wife, Janet, and a son, Joseph, one. His father and brother are both named Robert.

MISSING: Sharon Christina Millan
Sharon Christina Millan worked for the human resources department at the law firm Harris Beach & Wilcox on the 85th floor of tower two. Relatives said they’ve spoken to other employees in her department who reported they were evacuating the building with Millan, heading down the stairs. Some employees’ shoes were off, they said, and people were sliding down the banisters. At about the 60th floor, employees heard an announcement over speakers in the building that it was safe to go back to work. Some may have turned around.

“We’re not giving up yet,” said her sister-in-law, who thinks she might be trapped in a pocket near the shops in the building. Millan is five-six, and weighs 128 pounds. She has brown hair and brown eyes.

MISSING: Giovanna Gambale
Giovanna Gambale worked for Cantor Fitzgerald’s online division on the 102nd floor of tower two. Gennie, as she is known to her friends and family, leaves an indelible impression on everyone she meets. “She’s everything you would want in a child—a responsible, wonderful kid,” her father said. Gambale, 27, grew up with her younger sister and brother in Carrol Gardens, Brooklyn, and stayed in the neighborhood.

MISSING: Anette Dataram
Before leaving for work last Monday, Anette Dataram, 25, assembled her best outfit and paraded around the house, hoping her family would notice her new haircut. “She looked so pretty that day and we all wanted to know why she cut her hair,” said her aunt, who thinks of Dataram as her own daughter. “Oh, I just want to look nice,” Dataram said, who is engaged to get married this month. Petite in stature at five-three and only 90 pounds, Dataram’s spirit that day appeared to be as lofty as her office on the 106th floor of tower one, where the Guyana native worked as an accountant for Windows on the World.

Reports contributed by Gregory Bensinger, Robert Christgau, Thulani Davis, Sarah Ferguson, Joey Fishkin, Chris Fuchs, Andrew Friedman, Camila Gamboa, Geoffrey Gray, Jesse Goldstein, Andy Humm, Adamma Ince, Nora McCarthy, Toni Schlesinger, Lisa Schneider, Alisa Solomon, Alexis Sottile, Tricia Romano, Bill Werde, and Irene Yadao