Clip Job: an excerpt every day from the Voice archives.
August 25, 1960, Vol. V, No. 44
The Voice Moves to Sheridan Square
Almost five years to the week that it first occupied its battered and now famous offices at 22 Greenwich Avenue, The Village Voice is taking its first move to more spacious and convenient quarters.
As of this week, The Voice is to be found two blocks west and one block south, at 61 Christopher Street, on the northeast triangular corner of Sheridan Square, in the heart of the Village. There it will occupy the entire building (two floors) until lately tenanted by the Apartment Rental Service, Varr’s accessory shop, and a jewelry store.
The offices of the publisher and the editors will be placed on the upper floor, business offices on the street level. A special wing with separate entrance (the former jewelry store, facing on Seventh Avenue) will be given over to the Classified department.
The address will be, simply: The Village Voice, Sheridan Square, New York 14. The main trunk phone line will remain the same as heretofore: WA 4-4669. Supplementary lines are now being added to bring the new total to nine circuits, two for Classified alone (WA 4-7130, WA 4-7131).
The Voice began to come together in the hot days of July, 1955, when publisher Edwin Fancher and editor Daniel Wolf began to gather forces in the old offices on Greenwich Avenue. Already on the scene with them were Norman Mailer and John Wilcock, with Jerry Tallmer arriving a few weeks later. On October 26, 1955, they brought out Volume 1, Number 1, with a hopeful print run of 5000. The paid circulation as of today stands at almost 17,000, going on 20,000, with distribution in every state of the Union and around the world.
[Each weekday morning, we post an excerpt from another issue of the Voice, going in order from our oldest archives. Visit our Clip Job archive page to see excerpts back to 1956.]
This article from the Village Voice Archive was posted on October 13, 2008