Karin Bereson, owner of Nolita boutique No. 6 and the person who single-handedly made all New York City women want to wear clogs, shares her latest favorite items, wearable and otherwise.
1. Wendy Nichol Micro Pavé Small Tall Charm on 12mm hoop single earring: “Not too sweet, not too hard, great mixed with tons of other small earrings.” Single earring, $460 at wendynicholnyc.com.
2. No. 6 tricolor platform boot in blue/nero/fumo: “Love our new platform boots from Italy. A nod to hardcore Seventies, Vetements, and muted psychedelia.” $445 at no6store.com.
3. Zenbunni chocolate: “The best chocolate from our local coffee shop Happy Bones. Each bar is handcrafted with a wide range of biodynamic, organic, and wild foraged spices. Each flavor is beyond delicious, and if you buy the 10-pack you get a crystal. Perfect for your inner guru.” Zenbunni Chocolates Rainbow Box, $30 at zenbunnichocolate.com.
4. Meatballs from Di Palo’s in Little Italy: “Super old-school traditional Little Italy go-to for anything edible that is Italian. But we at No.6 die for their meatballs. Sometimes I buy a batch for the team and we gorge on them and the best Italian bread and olives.” $7.99/lb at Di Palo’s Fine Foods.
5. A Détacher ANNIE leather belt: “I love everything from A Detacher — each piece is so special. This is perfect since I am always looking for a belt that is not too feminine for all the coveralls and overalls I wear. $255 at adetacher.com.
6. And Away They Go by Eric Chakeen: “I grew up near Pimlico Race Track and spent tons of time around bookies, touts, and horses. I love the way Chakeen captured the seediness and the beauty that occur simultaneously at racetracks.” $30 at dashwoodbooks.com.
7. Yarn and knitting tools from Purl Soho: “I have always been an avid knitter, taught by my grandmother when I was 10, and Purl has the most beautiful and modern selection of yarns in town. I will often go over and buy amazing cashmeres, alpacas, and linen yarns just for color inspiration for design.” Cascade 220, $9.80; Crystal Palace knitting needles, $8 at www.purlsoho.com.
8. A Détacher LOU leather clutch: “Understated, with a twist. The combination of the caramel leather and the brass hardware makes it feel like a bag Jane Birkin or Ali McGraw would have carried. Or me…” $875 at adetacher.com.
9. Kalen Hollomon artwork: “Hollomon is one of my favorite multimedia artists these days. There are so many different things he does, but his collages referencing top fashion advertising are always my favorite.” kalenhollomon.com
This article from the Village Voice Archive was posted on September 8, 2016