10. I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry [Dennis Dugan]
I know even fewer people who love this movie than Southland Tales. And they're all gay. So thanks to the liberal, well-intentioned heterosexual film critics out there for, you know, being down with my peeps and everything, but wrong movie to gang up on: This shit is mad funny and will do more to normalize the idea of gay marriage than a hundred crap fag indies booked at the Quad.
And . . .
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Los Muertos, There Will Be Blood, Paprika, In Between Days, Black Snake Moan, Hot Fuzz, Grindhouse, No End in Sight, Superbad, Smiley Face, The Disappointment: Or, the Force of Credulity.
Worst official trend of the year Abortion.
Best unofficial trend of the year Traumatized animals (Los Muertos, The Hawk Is Dying, Zoo, Killer of Sheep,etc.).
Top 10 DVDs of 2007
1. Ford at FoxAn epochal release: 24 films by the master, John Ford. Expensive? Priceless.
2. Histoire(s) du CinémaJean-Luc Godard's legendary video essay finally comes to DVD (in a Region 2 box set from Gaumont), with English subtitles.
3. Inland EmpireThe best film of last year gets super-sized with, among other treats, 70 minutes of "More Things That Happened."
4. The Films of Kenneth Anger, Vols. 1 and 2Superb editions of the complete Anger, the most visionary of American filmmakers, courtesy of Fantomas.
5. Eyes Wide ShutBetter late than never, I suppose, Warner Bros. rectifies their mutilation of Kubrick's misunderstood swan song with a widescreen edition (imagine that! A Kubrick film deserving widescreen!) of the "European" cut.
6. Sans Soleil/La JeteeChris Marker's masterpiece(s): the Criterion disc of the year. And that's saying a lot.
7. Twin PeaksThe Definitive Gold Box Edition Crazy!
8. Our Hitler Crazier!
9. The Wire, Season 4One more season to go for the narrative film of the decade.
10. Death Proof WTF is up with the Weinsteins? Dudes can release Factory Girl, Who's Your Caddy?, and D.O.A. Dead or Alive but not the new Tarantino movie? OK, so Grindhouseflopped, but I repeat: THE NEW TARANTINO MOVIE. Come on, guys, just a week at Cinema Village or something? Please?
Join My Voice Nation for free stuff, film info & more!